Medieval History Quiz
"A Reed in the Wind"
"Queen Without a Country" and
"Isabella: Queen Without a Conscience"
Historical novels by Rachel Bard
Test your knowledge of medieval Europe.
- The mother of Richard I of England was:
- Mary of Scotland
- Eleanor of Aquitaine
- Joan of Arc
- Who was the leader of the forces in Palestine that Richard fought against in the Third Crusade?
- Gunga Din
- Isabella of Angoulme married twice. Her husbands were:
- Hugh de Lusignan and King John
- Prince Arthur of Brittany and King John
- Robin Hood and Little John
- What language was most commonly spoken in 13th-century Europe?
- Norman French
- Berengaria and her sister-in-law, Isabella,
- Never met
- Met once, at the castle of Chinon
- Were lifelong friends
- Eleanor of Aquitaine married twice. Her two husbands were:
- Philip Augustus of France and Henry IV of England
- Louis VII of France and Henry II of England
- Louis XV of France and Henry VII of England
- Who was Queen Joanna of Sicily's second husband?
- Raymond, Count of Toulouse
- King Philip of France
- Saladin, Sultan of Egypt
- When in battle, Geoffrey Plantagenet:
- Wore a scarlet cloak emblazoned with three golden lions
- Usually rode alongside Richard the Lionheart
- Stuck a sprig of Scotch broom in his helmet
- Who were the only two Spanish "queens regnant" in medieval
- Isabella of Castile and Urraca of Leon and Castile
- Joanna La Loca: and Isabella of Castile
- Berengaria of Navarre and Katharine of Aragon
Answers: 1-b, 2-a, 3-a, 4-c, 5-b, 6-b, 7-a, 8-c, 9-a)